Sunday 27 September 2015

Restaurant Review - Simplicity (London, UK)

 Simplicity is a tiny little restaurant in between Rotherhithe underground station and the Brunel Museum, at 1 Tunnel Road off Salter Road.  It seats maybe 30 people and, when full, is a little bit "elbows at dawn" but it's worth going to.  The menu is written on chalk boards which are hoiked over & propped onto chairs according to whichever table needs to view it (which I found a bit weird - I'm used to the paper menus left on the table with specials written on a big board above the bar, or something!!!)
HOWEVER, if you can get past that, you're onto a damn good dinner!!!
(the point being there's no airs and graces to this place - just turn up with spending money and apetite!!!)

Last time I stayed in the area was May 2015 - first time in three years, and the owner recognised me, which was nice!  The first evening I ate there, the meal I chose was bubble & squeak on spinach and veggies with a poached egg with hollandaise sauce on top, and was ridiculously delicious!!!!  They live up to the name of the restaurant - simple food but it done brilliantly well!!!

For pudding, I had their chocolate mousse with fruit compote and chantilly cream...... YUM!!!

The second evening I ate there, I had three chorizo sausages on the best mashed potato on the planet EVER, on top of veggies and the richest onion gravy I have ever tasted.....!!  (I was too full up for pudding!!)

For price guidance, an evening meal for one person consisting of glass of wine, starter and main course is around £25 including the tip.
Rumour has it they do an excellent Sunday brunch which, although I've not tried it, would not surprise me in the slightest!!

Their website is Simplicity

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum!!! I can never remember what bubble & squeak is... but the sausages on mashed potatoes look yummy. Never been to that neck of the woods in London but the restaurant sounds worth it. There's a place like that in Amsterdam... they don't even have a menu inside... the waiter just comes and rattles it all off to you... SO GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it! Amsterdam... Van Kirkwijk - http://www.caferestaurantvankerkwijk.nl/ - a bit off the beaten path but sooo good!

    ReplyDelete